File a Complaint with OSHA in an Effective Way
About the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is part of the United States Department of Labor. The OSHA was created by Congress under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 to assure safe and healthful working conditions for workers and prevent work-related injuries, illnesses, and occupational fatality by issuing and enforcing standards for workplace safety and health.
About Filing a Complaint with OSHA
The OSHA gives employees and their representatives the right to file complaints about safety hazards and health risks in the workplace. If you believe your working conditions are unsafe or unhealthful or your employer violates some OSHA standards, you can file a complaint and request an OSHA inspection of your workplace. Complaints can be filed online, in writing or over the telephone.
Filling a complaint with OSHA is the most effective way to get an inspections officer to come to your workplace. If you file a complaint under the law, it may help assure a safe and healthful workplace for you and your fellow workers and prevent work-related injuries, illnesses, and occupational fatality. Furthermore, your information will be kept confidential.
How to file a complaint with OSHA?
Before you begin, you will need to prepare the following:
- A computer with internet access.
- Go to the OSHA website at: http://www.osha.gov, and click the link of "Complaints – How to File a Complaint" at the left of the page.
- You can file a complaint online, click on the link of the "Complaint Form". Fill out sections 1 through 19, provide as much information as possible for OSHA to determine that safety or health hazards exist, and then click on the button marked "Send".
- You can also download the OSHA complaint form, complete it and then fax or mail it back to your local OSHA Regional or Area Office. Remember to include your name, address and telephone number so that OSHA can contact you later.
- Another way to file a complaint is to call your local OSHA office with questions and concerns. If there is an emergency that is immediately life-threatening, you are advised to call 1-800-321-OSHA.
- If you have any questions regarding filing a complaint, you may refer to "How to File a Complaint with OSHA" at: http://www.osha.gov/as/opa/worker/complain.html.
If you believe there is a hazard at your workplace, don't hesitate to file a complaint with OSHA. Your complaint will be handled as soon as possible.