E-file individual tax returns for free through Free File
About the IRS
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the U.S. government agency responsible for collecting taxes, interpreting and enforcing tax laws. The IRS, headquartered in Washington, D.C., is a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and is under the immediate direction of the Commissioner of Internal Revenue. It operates five service centers and three computer centers around the country. The service centers process different types of returns, with some for individual returns and others for business returns. The overall mission of IRS is to help the U.S. taxpayers understand and meet their tax obligations.
About the e-file of tax returns
IRS e-file is an electronic way to prepare and file individual and business clients' tax returns. In other words, by IRS e-file, you can either prepare tax returns electronically by using tax software or prepare tax returns by yourself and file them electronically. There are many different tax preparation software products available in the market place. Meanwhile, regardless of income, everyone can use online Fillable Forms, which are the electronic version of the IRS paper forms.
The IRS e-file is a fast, secure and free way to file your individual tax returns. For one thing, it lets the tax software do all the hard work for you. For another thing, you can prepare electronic forms and submit them online. Overall, it saves you much trouble.
How to e-file individual tax returns for free?
Before you begin, you will need to prepare the following:
- A computer with internet access.
- Gather your tax information, such as a copy of your last year's tax return.
- Decide a Free File option: use Free File Tax Software or use Free File Fillable Forms.
- If you use software, pick a Free File company at:http://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/index.jsp, otherwise, get Free File Fillable Forms at: https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/FFA/Gateway/FED.htm.
- For further information, refer to Free File FAQs at: http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=220412,00.html.
If you seek to file your tax returns in the most efficient way, e-file is a nice choice. Tired of preparing your tax returns by yourself, you use tax software. Ready to submit in an electronic way, you use online fillable forms. And, it’s free!