Request a Copy of a Driving Record at California DMV
About the California Department of Motor Vehicles
The California Department of Motor Vehicles is the state agency which is responsible for the registration of motor vehicles and boats and the issuance of driver’s licenses in the state of California. It is part of the California Business, Transportation and Housing Agency and is headquartered in Sacramento. It operates local offices in almost every part of the state. It is responsible for regulating new car dealers, commercial cargo carriers, private driving schools, and private traffic schools.
About Driver Record Requests
The California Department of Motor Vehicles provides various online services for citizens of the state of California. Responding to driver record requests is one of the online services it offers. However, the online driver record request service is only available for certified users of the California DMV. If you are not a certified user, you must register first (see https://www.dmv.ca.gov/SelfHelp/Registration.jsp). It requires a $2 online payment to get the online driver record, but it is not an official driver’s record. For an official driver’s record, you need to pay $5 and fill out Form INF1125 and mail it into the DMV Headquarters address.
By requesting a copy of a driving record from the California Department of Motor Vehicles on their website, you do not need to download the INF1125 Form and mail to the DMV Headquarters address. It saves you time and it is also cheaper, so you can save a little bit money as well. You can submit your request online whenever and wherever it is convenient for you. It is easy and fast.
How to request a copy of a driving record from the California Department of Motor Vehicles?
Before you begin, you will need to prepare the following:
- A computer with internet access.
- You need to be a certified user of the California DMV and you must have a credit card or a debit card which can make online payments and a printer to print out your driving record.
- Go to the website of the California Department of Motor Vehicles at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm and then click on the link marked “Obtain a Copy Online of your Driver Record”.
- Click on the button marked “Continue”.
- Enter the required information into the required boxes and then click on the button marked “Log-in”.
- Follow instructions to obtain your record, pay for your record online, and print out your record.
- If you have any questions or problems, you can go to Online Driving Record FAQ page at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/dr/dr_faqs.htm.
If you want to get your driver’s record cheaper, faster and more conveniently, you can go to the website of the California DMV to get your record online. However, you must remember that the online driver record is not an official document. If you need an official one, you still need to mail in a form to the California DMV Headquarters.