Apply for a Duplicate Tax Disc

Apply for a Duplicate Tax Disc

About Directgov

Directgov is a comprehensive internet portal serving as an online resource for citizens of the United Kingdom seeking information and practical advice about public services. Government services, documents, and forms can be accessed or downloaded from the websites gathered together at Directgov.

About applying for a duplicate tax disc at Directgov

If you have an automobile in the United Kingdom, then you must display a tax disc on your vehicle as proof that you have paid the Vehicle Excise Duty. If your tax disc has been lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged, then you need to apply for a new one. At Directgov, you can download the application form and find out where you need to go to submit it.

By consulting Directgov, you can be sure to get the right form you need to apply for a new tax disc. Also, you can check to make sure that you have everything required to complete your application. Directgov will also help you locate the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) office nearest you.

How can you apply for a duplicate tax disc at Directgov?

Before you begin, you will need to prepare the following:

  1. A computer with internet access.
  2. A registration certificate or new keeper supplement.
  3. £7 for the application fee (if applicable).
  4. Your vehicle’s original tax disc, if you still have it.
  5. A complete V20 "Application for duplicate tax disc." (Read below to find out how to get one.)
Detailed instructions:
  1. Go to the Directgov "How to tax your vehicle" website at: www.direct.gov.uk/vehicletax.
  2. Read through the instructions and requirements for the application process.
  3. Download the V20 "Application for duplicate tax disc" form as a .pdf file, by right clicking on the link marked, "Download Duplicate vehicle license disc application form – form V20 (PDF, 163K)" and selecting "Save link as..."
  4. Print the form and fill it out completely.
  5. Click on the link marked, "Find your nearest DVLA local office."
  6. Select the DVLA local office in your neighborhood from the list by clicking on it. Take your V20 form and the other things required as listed above to the office to apply for your new tax disc.
  7. For further information or assistance using Directgov, consult their help website at: www.direct.gov.uk/en/Hl1/Help/index.htm.


If the tax disc for your automobile has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, then you need to get a new one. If you are not sure how to go about doing this, then you ought to go straight to Directgov and check out their useful instructions. They will give you all the information you need, including a pdf file of the necessary form and the address of your nearest DVLA office.

(4.8, 374 Votes)