Find Legal Help at the State Bar of California
About the State Bar of California
The State Bar of California is the state's official bar association which serves as the administrative arm of the California Supreme Court. It is responsible for shaping the development of the law, managing the admission of lawyers to the practice of law, as well as providing access to the justice system for all citizens. The State Bar of California is the largest state bar association in the U.S., with almost 232, 000 members as of February 2011.
About Finding Legal Help
The State Bar of California provides legal help for the state's citizens. The State Bar can help you find specific legal information to understand the legal implications of your dispute or understand your legal entitlement through its certified lawyer referral service, legal services program and attorney search service.
With the legal help offered by the State Bar of California, you will be able to find and hire the right lawyer who has experience in the field of law that relates to your case. Furthermore, you may be able to get free or low-cost legal help.
How to find legal help at the State Bar of California?
Before you begin, you will need to prepare the following:
- A computer with internet access.
- You need to be a Californian.
- Go to the State Bar of California website at: http://www.calbar.org, and click on the "Find Legal Help" link at the top left of the page.
- Then, you could contact a local State Bar-certified lawyer referral service, which can put you in touch with a lawyer who is experienced in the appropriate area of the law. In order to find an attorney referral service, you can go to the "County Programs" link or call the State Bar's Lawyer Referral Services Directory at 1-866-442-2529 (toll free in California) or 415-538-2250 (from outside California).
- If you can't afford a lawyer, depending on your income and the nature of your case, you may be able to get free or low-cost legal help in non-criminal cases from a legal services program.
- You can also search for an attorney by entering the attorney's name or a bar name on the State Bar's website.
- For further information, refer to "How Can I Find and Hire the Right Lawyer?" at: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Pamphlets/HiringaLawyer.aspx.
If you have a legal problem and don't know how to resolve it, the State Bar of California is definitely the best way for you to find and hire a lawyer who can advise and assist you with your particular problem.